Thursday, February 2, 2012

Happy Herbivore: Maple Kissed Pumpkin Muffins

Let me just start off by saying these muffins smelled amazing while they were cooking in the oven. I’ve been on a baking kick these past few days so I decided to make some muffins for breakfast. Once again I turned to a simple muffin recipe from Happy Herbivore. I think every page in my new cookbook is book marked as something I want to make! This muffin recipe was certainly a good choice. I love the smell and taste of maple syrup and pumpkin so when they are combined into one recipe its heaven. These muffins would work very well in the fall time but can certainly be made anytime when the weather is cold. You can either make them with canned pumpkin or sweet potato. I went with the pumpkin but I’m sure they would taste good either way. I loved mashed sweet potato’s with a little maple syrup. I choose pumpkin because I have a ton of cans of organic pumpkin that I need to use up. To make them taste even more like maple I substituted maple sugar for brown sugar. Maple sugar is very expensive but I got a pretty good deal on amazon for a good size container of it and I though it would add to the flavor of the muffins perfectly. Maple sugar is also a much healthier alternative to processed sugar because all it is, is dehydrated maple syrup. It retains all the minerals you find in maple syrup. This recipe also calls for maple syrup and its extremely important to use 100% pure maple syrup which isn’t maple flavor with high fructose corn syrup. Also whenever possible choose to use organic ingredients. Lastly the recipe calls for whole wheat pastry flour. This is an important ingredient as opposed to regular whole wheat flour because it gives the muffins a lighter texture as opposed to the dense chewy texture that happens with whole wheat flour. 
Here is a link to Lindsey's blog where the recipe is provided. Happy Baking!!!!


Batter

Finished Muffins minus the one I had for breakfast =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment